Artist
Statement
This
altered book was used to communicate ideas of Visual Thinking Strategies from a
class of second grade students. Included
in the book is an artwork made by each student explaining how VTS made them
feel and what they thought about it. My
goal in creating this project was to
allow the students to voice their thoughts and opinions freely. Over the last several months of working with
these students I have been amazed at the insight and thoughts they have to
share that may never have been communicated without VTS. Many of these students struggle with reading
and writing. However, these open
conversations about what is going on in an artwork have allowed them to express
their thoughts and ideas, given them permission to wonder, and practice things
like providing supporting evidence.
Similar to how Visual Thinking Strategies is student centered, this book
is focused on the thoughts and feelings of these students.
The book arrived safely and it was a delight to read!! The words of the students are so genuine and dear! It makes me want to visit you and meet this class that I've been following via video this semester! There is also something very illustrative about using an altered book. VTS seems to have altered the learning experience for your students and allowed them to be the authors of their learning. LOVE the cut-out first page as well. I'll try to photograph it tomorrow and send you the picture to upload so your classmates can enjoy it as I have. Great job!
ReplyDelete