I was really impressed with the result of our VTS pre/post scoring rubrics.Many of their word counts have either doubled their word counts or gotten close. I have one student who had less.
Many individual students have Interpretations w or w/o evidence on their post test which did not exist on their pretest. Many students had no Interpretations/Inferences on the pre vts but had 1 or 2 on the post vts. Outside factors could also be that the students have been focusing on writing heavily this year in their classrooms which could have greatly influence my outcome. I have a student who is a teachers child who I showed both writing samples and the scoring rubric and she was very impressed. I had several students who didn't write in full sentences on the pretest, they just listed things, now they are writing all sentences. The class as a whole has grown a lot. They are able to readily give evidence during VTS much of the time, they did not start out that way. As a teacher I have learned how to comfortably facilitate a VTS discussion and am improving all the time. I find myself being able to focus on improving on certain aspects mindfully
as I get down the basics. I have learned about all that VTS has to offer, which seems never ending. I love that I am differentiating learning while doing VTS. I have found the kids to be engaged in the discussions and often are begging me to go onto the next image. I feel as though something was missing in my art classroom previously. I feel like I can always have a more enriching art program and VTS really helps to fulfill what I felt was missing. The level of critical thinking is amazing with VTS. I may have done some constructed critical thinking before but have always struggled to have an open ended discussion. This has helped me to get a good grip on what an open ended discussion would look like and I hope to be able to phrase other introductions for projects this way as well. It is a work in progress.
You are wise to recognize that regular classroom emphasis on writing has contributed to your students' growth in the post VTS assessments, but your VTS teaching is certainly a partner in this growth! Willingness to give evidence, particularly without prompting is huge and certainly what is called for by the Common Core. Here is an article you might be interested in that discusses how classroom talk contributes to literacy growth. It will give you even more "ammunition" beyond the VTS information in case a visiting administrator questions why what you are doing is important.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.ascd.org/publications/books/108035/chapters/Why-Talk-Is-Important-in-Classrooms.aspx