Saturday, December 13, 2014

Pre and Post VTS analysis





Once again, I was really impressed with the result of the t test.  I did 3 categories just because I had a hard time choosing one.  The scoring rubric results were very low numbers for everything but word count so I wanted to see what Interpretations w/o evidence and Interpretations with evidence would look like. 

Word count is said to be "Extremely Statistically Significant".  Several of the students doubled their word count, some were very close.  The other two which are Interpretations/Inferences w/o evidence and with evidence are "Statistically Significant".  Since these are second graders there is great room for improvement in many areas.  They listed many simple observations on the pretest.  On the post test they listed less simple observations and had many more Interpretations both with and w/o evidence.  I see that as great progress.   

I agree with the results.  The students are progressing and VTS is one of the reasons. I must be facilitating well enough that the students are benefiting from VTS.  This shows that VTS is both worth while and amazing.  I know there are several other factors that contributed being a focus on writing in their classrooms and maturing.  I absolutely agree with the results.  I've witnessed many students go from simple observations to interpretations on what is going on in an image with evidence over this semester.  One student had great difficulty putting thoughts into words on a paper but can do so orally.  He has grown in what he has been able to share orally.  This has been a great semester.  I will continue on this VTS journey and integrate it into my everyday teaching.  I cannot wait to see how they grow over time.

1 comment:

  1. These are very exciting results. Keep in mind that this was only a semester! If you continue to VTS regularly with your students, imagine the growth in 3 years! I VTS weekly with my K-5 kids and their conversations are nothing short of amazing. I'm also seeing transfer into other aspects of their art room experience. I'd love to hear how a year of continued VTSing and maturity might impact this same group. And document these results for your principal. You might make an art believer out of her!

    ReplyDelete