Carmen Lomas Garza
Barbacoa para Cumpleaños (Family Barbeque?)
- 1993, alkyd on canvas, 36 x 48 inches. #PA056. Collection of Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, Texas.http://carmenlomasgarza.com/artwork/paintings/
This is the image I have chosen to VTS week 12. I believe that this artwork will have many places for students to "enter into" the artwork. So much for them to relate to and discuss. This will also be great for my ELL students to feel more comfortable sharing by potentially having something to relate to and see people of their similar color. With so much going on in this image I feel like they will be able to tell a story with it. It's also simple enough that every student should be able to find something to share. My students need simple images with a lot to talk about at this point, especially since nearly have the class is SPED. My challenge is getting and keeping their attention. This much going on in an artwork should help with that. I will also try "VTS Gymnastics" before this image is shown. The other way this will challenge them is by putting all of these little details into one story, or summing them up. I can't wait to see how it goes!

I think this is a great choice for all of the reasons you have described. If you have any ELLs with Mexican heritage, they will most definitely recognize the piñata and the papel picado. The house looks more like an American house; I wonder if they will comment that they thing this family lives in the U.S.? Can't wait to hear how it goes (and how the gymnastics before goes!)
ReplyDelete