Peer coaching with Mike.
Mike,
It sounds like you had a great VTS session. What age group are you working with? It's wonderful when the students are engaged and discipline sounds low. I have a lot of students that are impulsive/defiant which makes it a little hard to listen to the person talking. Hopefully it gets better as the students get used to being patient and taking turns. It sounds like the VTS website has been helpful for you and it's great that it helps to know how to reply to those out of turn talkers. What was the most helpful thing you found on the website? Did the student follow the directions after being reminded? Was the class annoyed at that student?
It is very cool the students respectfully disagreed with each other. I'm sure you were excited to see that level of engagement. I am curious to see if you internalizing the guidelines will help your level of comfort for the next time. The other aspect that you have to deal with is that the students aren't that familiar with you right? I'm sure that after they are a little more familiar with you and following through with your guidelines they will know you mean business and respect that.
It sound like you have things figured out and going smoothly. If I had to offer any advice it probably would be practicing the questions and getting to know your students. It sounds like you've been working on all of those things and very thoughtful about them. I don't know if this is right but if I have students being too disruptive after being reminded of expected behavior I might send them back to their seat, we were on the floor, so the rest of the group can continue on. Of course that depends upon your classroom teaching style.
Sounds like your doing everything right. Keep up the good work.
I saw your question about sending disruptive students back to their seats. I have done the same. I find that if I do it calmly and matter-of-factly, they end up being sorry and wanting to come back. I'm sure to touch base with them after the discussion has ended to quietly express my disappointment and assure them that I missed the ideas I knew they could contribute to the discussion and that I hope their behavior will allow them to remain and contribute next time. That usually works. If it doesn't, at least sending them back to their seats protects the learning environment for those who are compliant and want to remain!
ReplyDelete