Friday, October 24, 2014

Blog Topic #9 Teachers Choice

The students who are the focus of this VTS experience are second graders.  This class is almost half SPED and also had ELL students.  They are early stage 1 viewers.  They notice most of the details but are very much working on the "why".  Some are creative and will share, others have a harder time talking in front of others.  I usually have 1 paraprofessional with 1 student.  I notice that by the end of the day the students who use meds have lost the effects of those meds.  They are a challenge to sit and focus for more then 5 minutes.  The students also have great insights when they focus and listen to each other.


                                              Image 1:  Norman Rockwell "The Runaway"

 
Image 2:  Carmen Lopez Garza, Birthday Party

 
Image 3:  Eugeno Zampighi "Gathering"

 
Image 4:  William H Johnson, "Tattler" (?)
 

 

4 comments:

  1. Excellent choice of images Danielle! I think they will captivate and inspire your group of 2nd graders, to continue learning about art in a way that is meaningful to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Cindy and Mike. These are all great images and I think your 2nd grade Stage 1 viewers will be able to enter these works easily due to the universal themes and construct great stories! You mentioned in your intro that you have ELLs in this class. If they are Hispanic kiddos, they may really find the Carmen Lomas Garza piece exciting since it is culturally comfortable. If you've had trouble getting any of them to speak before, this may just do it. Not only will it be compelling, but may also give them an increased sense of competence; they may be able to give non-Hispanics insight into the traditions portrayed. (You could also use it to introduce Papel Picado as a studio activity!) I certainly understand the end of the day issue with your students on meds. Here's a website you might find helpful. http://www.additudemag.com/adhd/article/1032.html I tried to read it through a VTS lens. Maybe the combination of sitting them close to the screen, inviting them to get up and point out what they are talking about when they respond, and keeping the discussion to about 6-7minutes until they build stamina might help. I also found this exercise on YouTube that might help overactive kids: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyS1eUAPmxQ Sounds crazy, but I'm going to try it Monday with my K-1 kiddos since I see them after they've had one hour of literacy instruction (sitting!!) We might call it our "VTS Gymnastics!! LOL!! I'm anxious to see which you select and how it goes! Nice job!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your advice Mary. I want to try the exercise with the kiddos and see how it goes and I really do need to learn more about ADHD instead of sometimes getting frustrated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even understanding hyperactivity makes patience challenging and at the end of the day, even more so. We're teachers, but we are also human. It's amazing, though, how a little insight can help. After all of the reading I've done about boy learners, I feel like I need to send out a few apology letters to past male students who frustrated me. I'm much more tolerant and work much harder to reach a compromise between their needs to move all the time and my needs for their attention. You never stop learning!!

      Delete