Saturday, August 30, 2014

Blog Topic #1

I am an art teacher at an elementary school in Troy.  It's a k-5 school that has recently taken on Leader in Me with about a 70% free and reduced population.  I will we working with a second grade class for this assignment.  Many of them are SPED and this is a co-teaching classroom (but not in specials).  I can see all the students benefiting from VTS but especially those students who are struggling with comprehension and have everything to gain.  I think many of these students will grow given the permission to wonder and I hope it will boost some of their confidence.  They are at an awesome age where they still use their imagination frequently and also love to learn new things so I am excited to see how this goes.

7 comments:

  1. Danielle,
    It will be exciting to watch your 2nd grade students when they see the art images and start discussing them. They will be able to bring their own life experiences into the discussions and you will learn more about them as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danielle,
    This will be an interesting group to see exposed to VTS. It will be exciting to see what happens. Like you said many of these students should grow in many ways and I am sure their confidence will too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm anxious to hear how your SPED students respond to VTS! I think this will really allow your students to feel self-worth while contributing in the discussion. Everyone can be successful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our school demographics seem very similar, so I'm interested to see how our classes compare. I like how you hit on the simple fact of letting them use their imagination, something young students especially want to do, and don't get many opportunities for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you and think your SPED students will love the freedom to express their ideas in a welcoming environment. It is so exciting how this approach nurtures their growth beyond the visual arts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 70% free & reduced is high, but I think you'll be amazed at how quickly they take to VTS.I suspect that these are largely kids who don't exprerience frequent academic success. It will also be wonderful for their language and comprehension development. Just curious - how many students are in your focus class? I'm also interested to know about racial & cultural diversity. Excited to see how this VTS semester unfolds for these kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are about 20 Students. Mostly Caucasian with one or two african american students. Very excited!

      Delete